Getting the MOM.implementation or MOM.exe errors?
There are many rumors going around about a MOM.exe spyware application. While there is one that exists, in most cases, the error message you're seeing about mom.implementation or mom.exe errors is related to your ATI graphics card. That being said, if you're not using an ATI graphics card, then you may indeed be infected with spyware. If that's the case, we recommend cleaning your PC with the free Spybot Search & Destroy anti-spyware software.
Where do the Mom.... Errors Come From?
The "mom.exe failed to initialize" and similar errors are tied to ATI graphics cards, particularly installations of the Catalyst Control Center, and most often occur when a user installs only .NET framework 2.0. To resolve this error, simply download and install .NET framework 1.1 as well. You'll also want to make sure that you are using the latest graphics drivers for your ATI card.
If, after installing .NET 1.1 you are still getting the error, re-install your Catalyst drivers.
Where do I find new ATI Catalyst drivers?
Since ATI was recently purchased by AMD, you'll need to visit the AMD website, and then browse in the following direction to find your Catalyst drivers:
- Under Support, click on Graphics Drivers
- Select your Operating System, followed by your Graphics Adaptor, followed by your Graphics Card Model
- Click on GO
- You'll be taken to a page that will give you access to the latest Catalyst Software Suite, and (optional), the latest ATI Multimedia Software
You'll want to completely uninstall your old ATI and Catalyst drivers, but before you do this, it's important that you find your original ATI CD - it has a tracking feature you'll need (ie. you'll need to insert the CD during installation) to be able to install certain ATI drivers. Once you've confirmed that you have the CD:
- Uninstall the old ATI and Catalyst drivers
- Restart your PC
- Download the suite software listed above
- Install the software components in order, beginning with the core graphics card drivers
- Install the optional ATI Multimedia Software
- Restart your PC (you may need to do this between each software component)
Once you've done this, you should no longer be seeing mom.implementation or mom.exe errors.
Still Seeing the Mom.Implementation and Mom.exe Errors?
If you still can't get rid of these errors, make sure you've run the Spybot Search & Destroy full system scan we mention above. If it finds nothing, and you're still getting errors, make sure you've uninstalled all "ATI" related software. If you did that, rebooted your PC, and you're still seeing the error message, please post below with details of your problem, including your PC, operating system, and anything else you can think of and we'll do our best to help!