We Rock Your Web in the Press!

Facebook banner size

Home Forums Social Media Facebook Facebook banner size

Post a New Topic

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author

SEO101

It looks like Facebook is finally forcing the new timeline layout down our throats. I just got a message when I logged into my Facebook account that I would until August 6th to prepare my timeline. The biggest thing I need to get ready for is the new giant timeline banner. Of course, FB gives no guidance as to how big that should be.

So my question to you web rockers: what is the Facebook banner size? Ie. the optimal size (dimensions) for the banner image that goes on my timeline?

Alex Schenker
    Keymaster

You can find all the details about image size in our article about updating image sizes on the new Facebook Timeline.

The size of the Facebook banner space is 851 x 315 px (pixels). Your best bet is to optimize your file in a graphics editor such as Adobe’s Photoshop (or the open source GIMP alternative) or Picasa, etc. For an photo, use the JPG format (compressed), and for solid colors, use the GIF or PNG format.

Alex Schenker
    Keymaster

The small square thumbnail version of your profile picture that appears in the lower left of your banner has some more confusing dimensions. In a nutshell:

• The thumbnail image itself is 125×125 px.
    • However, you need to upload dimensions of at least 200×200 px or you will get a “this image is too small” error.
    • Facebook automatically crops 12px from the border, so keep that in mind when designing your thumbnail.
    • Also keep in mind that if someone clicks on the thumbnail, they will be taken to your profile picture, which is large. So ideally, upload a large high resolution image as the profile picture, and a separate one as thumbnail.

Anonymous

The correct dimensions are 851×315. Don’t listen to those who tell you the dimensions are 850 or 314 pixels, as that’s incorrect and will result in facebook automatically resizing your cover image in ways you won’t like. 1 pixel may not seem like much of a difference, but when it comes to image scaling/resizing, that results in ugly artifacts and pixelation.

Anonymous

I really disapprove the changes that’s been going on with Facebook.

I haven’t use FB for a while now, and now when I log in i don’t really understand what’s going on.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.