To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Want to find a long lost relative or make sure a potential date you met online doesn’t have a criminal record? There are many reasons to use people search sites and equally as many sites where you can run a background check on just about anyone in the U.S. TruthFinder is one of the big names you’ll come across, but is it worth considering?
We’ve uncovered everything you need to know about TruthFinder. As the site likes to say, “what we found may surprise you.”
- What Is TruthFinder?
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- User Reviews
- How To Opt-Out Of TruthFinder
- Our Final Verdict
TruthFinder is a people search tool that scans millions of public records and online profiles to build custom background reports. These U.S. records have been filed or recorded by local, state and federal agencies and are available to the public.
Instead of spending hours upon hours going to courthouses and agencies to physically search all of these records, sites like TruthFinder make it easy to find them in once place.
You can search for anyone in the U.S. by name, city and state, and it’s all done anonymously. TruthFinder doesn’t notify the person that you’ve run a search on them.
While you can use TruthFinder for a variety of reasons, the site explicitly states that it’s not to be used for employment or tenant screening, credit checks or any other purpose covered by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). You can use TruthFinder to research:
- Lost family and friends
- Unknown callers
- Potential customers or business associates
- Online sellers
- A potential date
- Clean website
- Simple design
- Easy to navigate
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- Unlimited background checks with subscription
- Can take some time to land on the ordering page
- No one-time purchase option
- $2 fee per report to download a PDF
- Customers complain that the information given in the reports can be accessed without doing a people search
- Customers also complain information is out of date, incorrect or missing
- Complaints of poor customer service
Alternatives To TruthFinder
Don’t like the score you’re seeing? Our background check experts have reviewed nine background check providers and in our best background check services showdown you can see our top 3 winners for this year.
- Ability to search billions of property, historical, business, consumer and court records and 100+ social networks
- Reverse phone lookup
- Dark web scan can help you find out if your identity has been stolen
- Search pulls up name, age, aliases, residence history and possible relatives for free (this way you can be pretty sure you have the right person before forking over money)
- Requires a monthly subscription (can cancel anytime)
- BBB rating: A+
- Background check reports can include:
- Contact information (name, aliases, phone number, email, etc.)
- Location history (current and past addresses, possible neighbors, nearby sex offenders)
- Family members & possible associates
- Personal details (birth date, voter registration, marital status, high school & college records, etc.)
- Wealth data (property and vehicles owned, bankruptcies, businesses owned)
- Criminal, arrest and traffic records
- Social media profiles
TruthFinder doesn’t state exact prices for its background check service on its website. Instead, it “estimates” them (see below). You can’t purchase a single report but instead have to sign up for a recurring subscription, which gives you unlimited searches. However, you can cancel this anytime.
- Month-to-month subscription: less than $30/month
- 3-month subscription: less than $26/month
- Reverse Phone Lookup: $4.99/month (unlimited lookups)
- View all options
I love this service I can find out who my neighbors are and keep my grand children safe. I have been trying online dating and know if their being truthful or not! Customer service is fantastic too! – Julie M., BBB 6/11/2020
I used truthfinder to find out if my boyfriend was actually married. Thanks to truthfinder, I dumped him and got a restraining order before I got any deeper into a relationship with this scumbag. – Melody B., Trustpilot 10/25/2019
The report was absolutely useless. It didn’t have anything at all for at least the last 10 years but claimed that some of the information older than 10 years was new this year. Plus, they charge extra for the ability to have a PDF download, which is absolutely absurd. I will never use this company again and wish there was a way to get back the money I already spent. This is a scam, not a business. – CY, BBB 6/11/2020
Only gave them 1 star because they did provide info I requested….ut, as with dozens of complaints with the BBB, they screwed me too with their billing….I signed up for a single search and after 30 days, they charged my acct again without authorization….There were dozens of these on the BBB site… – Steven A., Trustpilot 4/8/2020
Don’t want your information on TruthFinder? It’s easy to opt-out. On its main screen, scroll down to the bottom menu. Click on “Do Not Sell My Info” under Sitemap. Then enter your name, city and state to search for your records.
The site then will pull up your name, age, aliases, residence history and possible relatives, so you know you’ve got you. Then all you have to do is click on “Remove This Record” next to this information.
We have some issues with TruthFinder. First, when we were trying to find information about its service on its website, several of the site links were broken. For example, we couldn’t access the “About” or “FAQs” pages. That doesn’t give you a lot of confidence in the company.
We also don’t like all the cheesy messages that pop up while it’s running the records search. While some of the information is helpful (it tells you what kind of records it’s searching), many of these messages contain scare tactics, like “you may be alarmed at what you find” or “warning, this person could have a criminal record.”
And when we ran a reverse phone lookup, the message was, “see what your man is doing behind your back.” These popups were over the top compared to all the other people search sites we tested. But if this doesn’t bother you, TruthFinder delivers comprehensive records at a decent price for unlimited searches per month.
Still, we think there are better alternatives. See our reviews of the best background check services to see which ones we rank highly. We give you pros, cons, pricing and more for many services.
Have you used a people search site before?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.