To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Is the time and effort you put into accounting for your small business giving you a headache? Cloud-based accounting software can save you lots of time, resources and money. You’ve likely heard of QuickBooks and FreshBooks, but there’s another major player, Xero Accounting, that’s giving both big names a run for their money. Xero is the market’s fastest growing small business accounting software, and it’s easy to use and loaded with features — all for an affordable monthly price tag. Check out our Xero Accounting review to see what they have to offer your business.
- Unlimited users with every plan
- Extremely intuitive interface that brings items needing attention to the forefront
- Robust set of features, including invoicing, bank reconciliation, inventory and more
- 24/7 customer support via responsive email and site support
- Good API developer center
- Blog, community forums, webinars, social media
- Mobile Xero app has limited features compared to online software
- Payroll only available in 29 states, and full electronic payroll only available in CA, FL, NJ, NY, TX, UT & VA
- No phone or live chat support
Key Features of Xero Accounting Software
- Best for small to mid-sized businesses
- Full-accounting features and tools
- Supports 160+ multiple currencies and tax rates
- 500+ Xero add-ons, including Salesforce, PayPal, Fathom, Square and Stripe
- Excellent site security, with high encryption, Https, multi-factor authentification, multiple-location backups
- Xero payroll tool with Premium Plans allows for up to 200 employees, direct deposit and e-file payroll taxes (Standard Plan allows for 5 employees)
- Named the #1 Most Innovative Growth Company in 2015 by Forbes Magazine
Try out Xero Accounting software with their 30-day free trial.
|Starter Plan||Standard Plan||Premium 10 Plan||Premium 20 Plan||Premium 100 Plan|
|Price Per Month||$9||$30||$70||$90||$180|
|Introductory Price for 6 Months||$37.80||$126||$294||$378||$756|
|Payroll||5 Employees||10 Employees||20 Employees||100 Employees ($2 per additional employee up to 200)|
|Pay Bills||5 Bills|
|Reconcile Bank Transactions||20 Transactions|
Xero is offering a special introductory offer: get 30% off the first six months with code XERO30! Nonprofits can receive 25% off all Xero plans. Use this link to take advantage of these offers!
What Do Xero Users Have to Say?
See below for a balanced selection of Xero customer reviews we’ve found online to give you an idea of real consumer experiences with Xero.
Positive Xero Reviews
Their UI is great and you get a great overview of your accounts from the dashboard without any hassle. It’s easy to setup bank accounts and credits cards to sync and reconciling transactions is a breeze. I also love that you can use Word documents for Invoice and Quote templates instead of the built-in template editor (which is limited, but still does the job in some cases)… Their mobile app, while missing a few features, makes it easy to manage and track my accounts on the go. – Daniel M., G2Crowd 4/13/2016
I love Xero for my company. One of the big things that stands out compared to the competing software is that multiple employees can be working on Xero without causing problems. Everything is seamless and easy to navigate. Xero is intuitive and as a result it is easy to train my employees how to use it. I also like that they are continuously improving and listening to their customers to learn exactly what and when things need to be changed. Keep up the great work! – Chad M., Trustpilot 11/18/2015
Negative Xero Reviews
I have been using Xero for a number of months after moving away from KashFlow. The product that Xero offers and pricing is great, sadly I wish there was more to say about their customer service. To contact customer support this can only be via email which raises a ticket, they assure you a response with 24 hours but this is regularly not met… Being stuck without access to the system because of an issue with a payment has left me sat around twiddling my thumbs. Not impressed. – Tiago M., Trustpilot 3/15/2016
It is not necessarily intuitive, and you will need training from someone who knows what they are doing and I highly recommend working with an accountant who is familiar with it so that they can set it up and test it for you. – Dominic E., G2Crowd 10/30/2015
Want Some Small Business Tips?
Check out Xero’s video below for some helpful tips for starting and running your biz by successful small business owners.
How Does Xero Rank in Our Book?
Xero accounting has some of the most robust features around, and its dashboard makes multi-tasking a breeze. Although they don’t offer phone or live chat customer support (bummer!), Xero’s reps are responsive and helpful in answering any questions you might have. We love Xero so much we ranked them #2 as best small business accounting software, just behind FreshBooks but ahead of powerhouse QuickBooks, our #3 pick. Check out our Best Small Business Accounting Software rankings and reviews to see how Xero stacks up against its competitors. You can also check out our interview with CEO Russ Fujioka to learn more about the inner workings of Xero.
How does Xero help you save time and resources as a small business owner?