To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Starting a new business and trying to save time and money? Complying with legal requirements is certainly one of the most important aspects of owning your own business, but you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for expensive attorneys.
More and more small businesses are turning to online legal services, like LegalZoom. Is LegalZoom legit? Can you really get your legal needs met online — and will they hold up in court? Yes, if you use the service wisely.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- User Reviews
- See LegalZoom In Action (Video)
- Is LegalZoom Your Best Bet?
- Better for beginners who are not well versed in legal procedures
- Wide variety of legal documents
- Add-ons allow you to customize the service instead of upgrading to a more expensive package
- Easy to use interface
- Great customer support options
- BBB rating: A+
- Must pay for each document so it can get pricey; however, you only pay for what you need
- Must pay to speak to an attorney
- Many complaints about poor customer service
- More than 300 BBB complaints in the last 3 years
- Better Business Bureau A+ accreditation
- Hundreds of personal and business legal documents recognized by the court
- Intuitive interface is simple and easy to follow
- Speak to an attorney in your state
- Access to a registered agent when forming a corporation or LLC (for added fee) — Learn more about creating an LLC with LegalZoom
- Comprehensive trademark search — Learn more about registering a trademark with LegalZoom
- Special services for Business Advisory Plan members including Trademark Office Action Response, Franchise Disclosure Document Review and more
- Ability to file for a DBA — Learn more about creating a DBA with LegalZoom
- U.S.-based customer specialists available by phone seven days per week
The plans below include 30-minute attorney consultations for each new legal need, legal document reviews (up to 10 pages), unlimited downloads from LegalZoom’s legal library and more. The prices in the table may vary depending on your state.
Business Legal Plan
- $36.00/month for 6 months
- $31.25/month for 12 months
Personal Legal Plan
- $11.99/month for 6 months
- $9.99/month for 12 months
|Incorporation||LLC||Trademark||Will and Testament|
|Basic||$199 + filing fee||$69|
|Complete Coverage||$219 + filing fee|
|Estate Plan Bundle||$149|
|Economy||$149 + state fees||$149 + state fees|
|Standard||$239 + state fees||$289 + state fees|
|Express Gold||$369 + state fees||$359 + state fees|
We’ve compiled a sampling of LegalZoom complaints and positive user reviews to give you an idea of customer experiences.
First of all, the interface is very user-friendly. Their pricing is excellent and in many instances half the cost of what any local brick-and-mortar lawyer would bill for similar services offered. People managing LegalZoom customer support phone lines are well trained and educated. If you select the Expedited processing option it indeed is reasonably fast. I am giving max stars and Very Likely to recommend. Thanks! – W., BBB 5/23/2018
I am filing for my first trademark and this experience is incredibly daunting. I have lawyers telling me it will be $1300 or I can file it myself for $69 on some random site. Who knows what is correct but Juli, at Legalzoom, walked me through the entire process. I have an attorney working on my trademark and I look forward to the result! – Brad C., Sitejabber 1/23/2018
Terrible. I set up my LLC with them years ago. This year, they magically raised my registered service fee from around $150 to $499 with no notice. I had to call and he reversed it right away, which means they know they are pushing the limits. I will never use this company again. – Keith G., BBB 4/13/2018
No customer service after initial order. Have tried for week to reach proper customer service group to purchase added services. Typically get disconnected or transferred to wrong group. Twice used call back system to not have to wait on hold. When call back came, was placed on hold. Unbelievable if it hadn’t happened. – James B., Sitejabber 3/10/2018
One of LegalZoom’s strengths is its vast number of online resources and questionnaires that help guide you to exactly what you need to do legally to achieve your business or personal legal goals.
For example, check out their video that illustrates how their website can help you start your business in a quick and easily understandable way.
So, what’s our final verdict? LegalZoom is among the the best online legal services on the market. LegalZoom has an impressive balance of features, including hundreds of legal documents, easy-to-understand online resources and access to attorneys in your state.
We like their flexible pricing that gives you several options, depending on if you need one-time or ongoing legal services. Be sure to check out LegalZoom alternatives in our comprehensive review of online legal services to see how they compare.
Disclaimer: Information published in this article is intended for reference use only. This article is not intended to offer any legal opinion or advice, or apply any legal principle of any kind. Please consult a licensed in attorney in your state of residence for any opinion or advice on any legal matter or issue.