To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Starting a new business and trying to save time and money? Complying with legal requirements is certainly one of the most important aspects of owning your own business, but you don’t have to pay an arm and a leg for expensive attorneys. More and more small businesses are turning to online legal services, like LegalZoom. You might wonder, is LegalZoom legit? Can you really get your legal needs met online — and will they hold up in court? Yes, if you use the service wisely. Here, we give you our LegalZoom reviews and tell you why we’ve chosen them as our number one pick for the best online legal service.
- Better for beginners who are not well versed in legal procedures
- Wide variety of legal documents
- Add-ons allow you to customize the service instead of upgrading to a more expensive package
- Easy to use interface
- Great customer support options
- BBB rating: A+
- Must pay for each document so it can get pricey; however, you only pay for what you need
- Must pay to speak to an attorney
- Better Business Bureau A+ accreditation
- Hundreds of personal and business legal documents recognized by the court
- Intuitive interface is simple and easy to follow
- Speak to an attorney in your state
- Access to a registered agent when forming a corporation or LLC (for added fee) – Learn more about creating an LLC with LegalZoom
- Comprehensive trademark search – Learn more about registering a trademark with LegalZoom
- Special services for Business Advisory Plan members including Trademark Office Action Response, Franchise Disclosure Document Review and more
- Ability to file for a DBA – Learn more about creating a DBA with LegalZoom
- U.S. based customer specialists available by phone seven days per week
The plans below include 30-minute attorney consultations for each new legal need, legal document reviews (up to 10 pages), unlimited downloads from LegalZoom’s legal library and more. The prices in the table may vary depending on your state.
Business Advisory Plan
- $36.00/month for 6 months
- $31.25/month for 12 months
Personal Legal Plan
- $11.99/month for 6 months
- $9.99/month for 12 months
|Incorporation||LLC||Trademark||Will and Testament|
|Basic||$199 + filing fee||$69|
|Complete Coverage||$219 + filing fee|
|Estate Plan Bundle||$149|
|Economy||$149 + state fees||$149 + state fees|
|Standard||$239 + state fees||$289 + state fees|
|Express Gold||$369 + state fees||$359 + state fees|
How Do Users Judge LegalZoom?
We’ve compiled a sampling of LegalZoom complaints and positive user reviews to give you an idea of customer experiences.
Positive LegalZoom Reviews
I was filing my dissolution of my business thru legalzoom, can’t more than happy with the service. In my experience they are very communicative, fast service & reasonable price for the service i have used. The team called to correct the mistake i’ve made and all updates notified via emails & calls. – Jerry N., BBB 11/22/2016
I was assisted by Jason Garcia and was absolutely blown away with his customer service!!! He answered every question I had perfectly and helped me create an LLC-choose a bank-accountant and attorney for my business! I will definitely be referring him and Legalzoom to anyone looking for assistance forming an LLC or with small business questions. Thanks Jason! 10 stars!!! – Alyssa M., SiteJabber 10/21/2016
Negative LegalZoom Reviews
Legal zoom had no problem taking my money. However they were rude and so disrespectful on the phone, they tell you everything is being processed and after two months they said my paper were missing a date! But it took them two months for them to tell me this and now are fighting me on a refund! I went and did the paper work myself and filed it in 20 minutes. – Jessica A., BBB 12/6/2016
I am more than disappointed with Legalzoom and their slow service. . . I have been working for 3 months trying to get my application for a non-profit completed. I have gotten nothing but the run around with the standard . . . “we have 7 to 10 business days to process your request”! 7-10 business days . . .right. . . IT’S BEEN 3 MONTHS! – Melvina H., SiteJabber 10/18/2016
What if You Don’t Know Exactly What You Need?
One of LegalZoom’s strengths is its vast number of online resources and questionnaires that help guide you to exactly what you need to do legally to achieve your business or personal legal goals. For example, check out their video that illustrates how their website can help you start your business in a quick and easily understandable way.
Is LegalZoom Your Best Online Bet?
So, what’s our final verdict? In our book, LegalZoom is the best online legal service on the market. LegalZoom has an impressive balance of features, including hundreds of legal documents, easy-to-understand online resources, helpful customer support and access to attorneys in your state. We like their flexible pricing that gives you several options, depending on if you need one-time or ongoing legal services. But be sure to check out LegalZoom alternatives in our comprehensive review of online legal services to see how they compare.
Why would you recommend LegalZoom or another online legal service to others?