To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
We rely on digital assistants (“Siri, will I need an umbrella tomorrow?”) and smart speakers in many ways in our personal lives. They can tell us the weather, help with driving directions and answer our questions. But what if we can harness the power of this technology in our professional lives too? Thanks to voice recognition software, you can.
Nuance’s Dragon is one of the most advanced and comprehensive voice recognition solutions on the market (and our top pick in our experts’ dictation software comparison). What all can Dragon do and how can it help you save time and make your workday more efficient? Let’s find out.
- Rating, Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- Dragon Anywhere App
- User Reviews (& Our Personal Experience)
- Dragon In Action (Video)
- 99% accuracy
- Available for PC and Mac, with companion iOS and Android apps (added fee)
- Compatible with major web browsers, Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Bluetooth
- Mobile apps work with WiFi or cellular
- Can create customized words and commands
- Formats text and you can insert graphics
- Supports 7 languages
- Customer service only available M-F, 9-8pm ET
- Learning how to use all the features can be a bit complicated
- Must use punctuation commands
- License is only for one user
- Speech recognition converts your voice to text regardless of your accent, dialect, or inflection.
- Learning mechanism adjusts to your language and accent and improves dictation over time.
- Saves time writing and proofing documents.
- Works anywhere you can dictate – documents, the internet, desktop apps, and email.
- Replace your mouse – control your computer with your voice, and save yourself from work related injuries, especially combined with a standing desk.
- Transcribe recordings and create custom commands.
- Trusted by millions of users and companies worldwide.
- Dragon Anywhere (iOS or Android mobile app)- 7-day free trial (after that $15/month or $150 for 12 months)
- View all products (Dragon Home ($150), Dragon Pro ($300), Dragon Legal ($500))
This software’s in-build increased adaptations works excellently, It will run in the background and be rapidly available which is really good for me. My working speed is vastly improved and transcribing time is halved. – Annoymous, g2 9/8/2019
The voice commands can do an impressive amount of work, easing your hands and fingers from typing and mousing, and the added support for Web browsers is a great update. If you’re new to Dragon, just bear in mind that does take focused effort to learn to use this hefty software. – Jill, pcmag 8/12/2014
I think for the most part, Dragon speech recognition is accurate. I only have had minimal issues with some words and abbreviations but I’m sure those things will be sorted out and will get better with time. Cost was really the only issue because my experience with it through my work was as a trial. – Jonathan, g2 4/3/2018
The software DRAGON which I used for more than 3-4 months could not give me the expected notch performance. As first of all it requires the training process even after that it is committing mistakes randomly. Even the software is little costly as per the delivery of the performance. – Bharat, TrustPilot 3/19/2019
Our Experience With Dragon
Here at We Rock Your Web, we have used Dragon products for years. In fact, I am currently dictating this entire article using it. And I’m able to get it done in about a third of the time. However, it’s not perfect. For example, while speaking this document, we initially had to tell Dragon to write NaturallySpeaking as one word, and to capitalize it. However, it has meanwhile learned to do that on its own. This really comes in handy over time, as Dragon adjusts to your vocal pattern and speaking habits.
Watch this quick video to see what’s possible with Dragon’s software including formatting text, sending emails and more.
Now that you’re writing at Mach speed, if you’re like us you’re also making a few more mistakes. Grammar checking software can help catch typos that Dragon misses and give you an extra set of eyes on your work.
Using voice dictation is just the ice tip of making your workplace more efficient, healthy, and enjoyable. There are endless ways to increase your productivity, including taking advantage of these business apps. And these are some of our favorite project management tools to help bring everyone on your team onto the same page.
Have you ever used dictation software?
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.