To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
|Best Home Shredder|
|Best Heavy Duty Shredder|
|Best Commercial Shredder|
Even in our digital age, paper shredders are more important than ever.
Why? Although we talk a lot about identity theft as it pertains to our digital interactions, we all still leave a paper trail that can be a huge target for thieves.
Yes, there are still plenty of “old-school” thieves rummaging through trash or recycling bins to find anything they can use to steal from you to steal your identity.
- Why Shred?
- What To Look For?
- Best Shredders By Category
- To Shred Or Not To Shred (Video)
- Other Tips
A paper shredder should be a normal part of any office, whether it’s at home or work. You never know who’s going through your trash, and dumpster diving is still a very viable method for thieves to steal your name, social security number, account information and more.
An estimated 17.6 million Americans were victims of identity theft in 2014 alone, according to a Bureau of Justice Statistics report. While many of these thefts were digital in nature, dumpster diving and physical theft of credit cards, etc. are still in full force.
So, what are the best paper shredders for your specific needs? We’ve picked the best for every category and give you our recommendations based on several factors, including:
- customer feedback
- paper capacity
- paper jam protection
- post-shredding size (important for security purposes)
Our top pick for best paper shredder for home use is a bestseller on Amazon: the AmazonBasics 8-Sheet High-Security Micro-Cut Paper, CD, and Credit Card Shredder with Pullout Basket.
This shredder is an excellent and affordable shredder for your family home and is a fairly compact size, making it great for a home office. But it gives you a lot of functionality for a relatively low price. Some key features include:
- Micro-cut, shreds paper into tiny pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches)
- Destroys credit cards, CDs, and DVDs
- Auto start and manual reverse to clear paper jams; 8-3/4-inch-wide paper feed
- 3-gallon pullout bin; thermal protection with auto shut-off
- 1-year Limited Warranty
The Fellowes SB-99Ci has a ton of great features for heavy-duty shredding needs. It uses 100% jam-proof technology and a Safe-Sense sensor that automatically shuts the blades off if your hand gets too close.
You can shred anything from CDs/DVDs and credit cards to paper clips and staples. This shredder gets excellent reviews from customers, who say it’s a great choice for small- to medium-sized businesses, as well as home use. Key features include:
- 100% jam proof system
- SafeSense Technology stops shredder when hands touch the paper opening
- SilentShred offers ultra-quiet shredder performance — great for shared workspaces
- Shreds 18 sheets per pass into 5/32″ x 1-1/2″ cross-cut particles (Security Level P-4)
- 2-year product and service warranty plus 5-year warranty on blades
- 9-gallon pull-out bin
- 25.19″H x 11.44″W x 17.31″D
Another popular choice on Amazon, the Royal 1840MX 18-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper Shredder is an excellent choice for small or home businesses. The Royal makes for out top pick as best home office shredder because it comes loaded with great features at an extremely affordable price for what you get.
This paper shredder blows through 18 sheets of paper in a single pass in 5 seconds and also has separate slots to run your credit cards, CDs and DVDs through. It’s larger and heavier than some of its competitors, but it comes with castors, so you can easily move it around your office. Key features include:
- Shreds up to 18 sheets of paper in a single pass
- Shred size is 5/32″ x 1 1/8″ for maximum security (Level 4 security)
- Auto start/stop and reverse function
- Ultra quiet
- 8 1/2 gallon wastebasket
- 40 minutes continuous run time
- Jam-free roller to reduce paper jams
- Castors for easy mobility
- 5 year cutter blade and motor warranty
Check out this Wisconsin news segment that gives some great tips about what types of documents you should seriously consider shredding. (Note: it’s from 2014 but all the information is still relevant now).
We hope we’ve given you some helpful information to know what kind of paper shredder to purchase. You might want to upgrade your printing game too or better yet, consider going digital and scanning your documents to clear up clutter.
What kinds of documents do you routinely shred and how often?