Do you own a small business but don’t have the financial means to defend yourself in the event you get sued? What if a customer gets injured tripping over a box in your boutique? Or if you spill coffee and destroy a client’s laptop? Claims can run into the thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, and most small businesses don’t have that kind of money set aside.
A lot of the big insurance names, like Nationwide and Travelers, offer business insurance to companies of all sizes. But there’s a lesser-known insurance company, Hiscox Insurance, that specializes in small business insurance, particularly those in knowledge-based professions like consulting, IT and marketing. Read our Hiscox Insurance review to see if they’re a good fit for your business.
- Affordable policies starting at $22.50/month
- Plans tailored to your individual business
- Rate reductions available if your business actively manages its risks
- Report and manage claims online
- Claims handled quickly and efficiently
- Will appoint an attorney to you if necessary
- Excellent 24/7 customer service
- Good website resources, including live chat, small business blog, etc.
- 14-day money back guarantee
- BBB accredited rating: A+
- Policies only available in 39 states and the District of Columbia
- No local offices
What Is Small Business Liability Insurance?
Liability insurance, also called general liability insurance or commercial insurance, protects you and your business if a third party brings a claim against your company for negligence. Small businesses often don’t have the financial and legal resources to fight expensive lawsuits and claims against them. And that’s where a liability insurance policy can save you and your company from financial devastation. If a customer, client or competing business, for example, makes a claim against you for something covered under your policy, your liability insurance will cover the cost of your legal defense as well as financial damages that you are legally liable for up to the limit on your policy.
Check out the following video by Hiscox Insurance for a good overview of why you should consider small business insurance.
What Types Of Business Insurance Does Hiscox Offer?
The kind of business insurance you need depends on your profession and the types of interactions you and your employees have with the public and other people’s property. Hiscox Insurance specializes in small business insurance for companies with 10 or fewer employees. And they offer tailored insurance policies for nearly 100 different professions. Their three main products are:
- General Liability Insurance – Provides coverage against third party accidents, bodily injuries, personal injuries (slander, for example), property damage and more.
- Professional Liability Insurance – Also called errors and omissions insurance, covers professionals against errors, negligent professional duty, and services or advice that cause another person’s loss.
- Business Owners Policy (BOP) – A combination of general liability insurance and business property insurance. BOP insurance provides small businesses balanced coverage for accidents and damage to their business equipment (from fire, flood, etc.). BOPs also include business interruption insurance, which protects you if you suffer a loss that leaves you unable to conduct your business. BOP insurance is the most common type of small business insurance sold in the U.S.
In addition to the major small business insurance products above, Hiscox also offers Electronic Data Insurance, Commercial Crime Policies, Non-Owned Auto Insurance and a host of other policies geared toward small business needs.
5 Key Features Of Hiscox Small Business Insurance
- In business for more than 100 years
- Financially sound: ‘A’ rating by S&P Global Ratings and A.M. Best, a national credit rating company that focuses on insurance companies
- Plans tailored to your specific business needs
- Worldwide coverage: You’re protected for business conducted anywhere in the world (must file claim in the U.S., a U.S. territory or Canada)
- Hiscox Small Business unit specializes in businesses with 10 or fewer employees
Policies start as low as $22.50 per month. Contact Hiscox for your small business insurance quote online or by phone. Hiscox gives your business a 5% discount if you purchase two or more insurance products and a 10% discount for home-based businesses. Hiscox also offers a 14-day, full money-back guarantee.
Hiscox Customer Reviews
As part of our Hiscox business insurance reviews, we researched positive and negative feedback from Hiscox customers. Here’s a balanced sampling of what we found.
Great company. Easy to get quotes and coverage online. Literally, in minutes. Straightforward payment options and smooth monthly billing. They provide my business liability coverage and my Errors and Omissions coverage. I’ve been with Hiscox for two years. I recommend Hiscox highly. – Audrey J., FB 8/11/2016
Scott M**** with Hiscox was a very patient, knowledgeable, and determined individual whom I had a memorable and lasting impression/ experience with. I will definitely be recommending the whole company to many of my colleagues and peers, as well as partners and clients, on his behalf alone. Gone are the days when a representative takes the time to confirm answers and make sure that you receive the best information possible, and Scott has done exactly that… Scott made me feel confident and secure that it would be taken care of delicately and swiftly…He was even willing to contact the underwriters for questions directly. – Cameron R., BBB 10/23/2015
After receiving my quote promising coverage and purchasing policy, I filed a claim for the first time in 11 years of business. Because my company does Revenue Cycle Management, the second word on my application, they state my policy does not cover Medical Billing. Revenue Cycle Management is Medical Billing by definition. Deceptive and dishonest company. – Debbie H., FB 6/19/2016
I signed up for Hiscox Insurance as it was recommended to me by a client. Only to find out months later that they told me my company wasn’t covered and the underwriter should have never issued me a certificate to begin with. Not one incident, not one late payment on our end, but come to find out we are now getting a letter from them saying our policy doesn’t cover us for what we were told and they will not be able to renew it. – K.G., BBB 2/6/2016
Is Hiscox The Best Small Business Insurance Provider?
If your business has 10 or fewer employees, you can save a lot going with Hiscox—provided they offer insurance in the state where your company is located. If you are eligible based on your location and the nature of your business, Hiscox Insurance is one of the best small business insurance providers out there. They excel with customer service and claims processing—and have a long history of making customers happy with their personal touch approach.
Want more legal advice before making your decision? Check out our reviews of the top online legal services.
Which insurance for small business would you recommend and why?Tagged With: Reviews