To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
MailChimp has the best free subscription plan of any email marketing service provider out there. Along with the long list of features including unlimited image hosting, Google Analytics, and the integration with hundreds of apps, MailChimp is an excellent choice for beginners or those who have limited funding.
However, based on numerous customer reviews we’ve found, you may want to look elsewhere for more advanced features. Here, we give you the information you need to make the best decision about whether MailChimp is right for you.
- Pros & Cons
- Key Features
- How To Use Facebook Ads With MailChimp (Video)
- Customer Feedback
- Is MailChimp Right For You?
- Free for up to 2,000 subscribers
- Knowledge base includes animated videos and screenshots
- MailChimp’s HTML templates are easy to use, and you can use their WYSIWYG editor to customize your own designs
- An Inbox Inspector add-on that lets you generate over 25 screenshots of your email in all major email applications, as well as live tests from all the major ISPs to see if spam filters are triggered
- Track where your sign-ups originated, which will help you optimize your opt-out prevention methods
- Hundreds of integrations, including Google Analytics
- Sign-up forms can be customized and embedded anywhere
- Straightforward contact list management and easy import of contacts via cvs file
- Internal surveys
- Automation feature makes autoresponding, segmentation and triggering easy
- Customer complaints about their Acceptable Use Policy
- No phone support and live chat often has long wait times
- Fewer templates than other email marketing services
- Importing of contact lists could be easier
- Importing templates from existing website graphics would be a great add-on
- Slow to refresh and can be slow when the site is busy
- Segmentation is very limited with free plan
MailChimp has many features that appeal to email marketers including its new automation feature and the capability to set up a multi-user account. MailChimp Coupon Scanner is also available through the merge tags, and this feature allows store owners to send QR code coupons to their subscribers.
- Ecommerce native integrations (Shopify, Magento, WooCommerce, BigCommerce)
- Marketing CRM
- Drag and drop designer
- Collaboration style workflow capabilities like multi-user accounts and adding comments inside the editor
- Free automation for all plans
- Behavior-based automations
- Advanced reporting features
- Google Analytics integrations
- Social sharing with Twitter and Facebook
- Social post scheduling
- API documentation
- Apply tags in landing pages to new contacts
- Shoppable landing pages
- Automatically removes old/incorrect email addresses that bounce to keep lists healthy
- Automation included in all plans for no cost
- Allows attachments
MailChimp offers the best free plan for 500 subscribers and 2,500 emails sent and various features than any other email marketing service. It also provides monthly pricing and pay as you go fees for those who need more than what you can do with the free plan.
Starting values listed below for 500 subscribers.
- Essentials (starts at $13/month) – includes
- 5,000 email sends
- 3 users
- Standard (starts at $20/month) – includes everything in Essentials plus:
- 6,000 email sends
- 5 users
- Premium (starts at $350/month) – includes everything in Standard plus:
- 150,000 email sends
- Unlimited users
- View pricing details for more subscribers
We scoured the web to find out how real users rate MailChimp. Here are some of the reviews we’ve found to give you an overall picture of MailChimp, from the customers’ perspectives.
Mailchimp provides a great service that is intuitive and easy, plus they make it fun along the way. Whenever you send off a campaign, the chimp gives you cute phrases and sayings that are encouraging and fun. It’s easy to manage your mailing lists, as well. No more forgetting which list you have sent to and which list you haven’t. Easy to make changes directly after a campaign as well. That way you don’t keep emailing those that don’t want to receive communications from you. – Jessica B., G2Crowd 3/19/2019
I have used many email platforms, this one is definitely the best. It’s the cleanest UI experience. Make sure you clean your lists before uploading, they are strict on bounces, etc. – David W., Sitejabber 8/12/2018
It is pretty easy to format and use. However, it is still fairly basic in some of the customizations. You don’t have a lot of font, format, or alignment options to really make it your own, & the photo/image editor is mediocre at best. – Administrator, G2Crowd 3/18/2019
Their salesforce integration isn’t working, which is an issue they’re development team is “aware of” however there is no mention of this anywhere. I am a paying client and was unable to get any real help addressing my integration issues, or any timing for the fix. I only received a “check back in a few weeks”. Which in my experience is terrible customer service and and management. I was considering using their landing page and a/b systems for my department but now have no trust in their product. – Andrea K., Trustpilot 1/11/2019
According to Sprout Social, 73% of college-educated Internet users are on Facebook, as are 70% of people earning more than $75k a year. So, what are you waiting for? You can use Facebook ads with MailChimp.
Here’s a video on how to add a Mailchimp sign-up box to your Facebook page.
If you’re just starting out with email marketing, first check out our B2B email marketing guide, and then you’ll probably want to check out MailChimp’s Forever Free plan. Its monthly paid subscriptions are competitively priced.
However, if you’re a larger business or just need more advanced features, you may want to look elsewhere. It comes down to your specific needs. See how MailChimp compares to the competition with our email marketing service comparison.
Think you might try MailChimp or are you leaning towards another provider? Let us know in the comments!Tagged With: Email Marketing, Reviews