To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Searching for an e-commerce solution to help your online store’s sales soar? Most people have heard of the shopping cart software, Shopify, but Shift4Shop (although not the huge name-brand) gives Shopify a run for its money in many areas.
Shift4Shop is a worthy contender with robust features, customization capabilities, online payment gateways and more. Keep reading our Shift4Shop review to see why they’re among our top picks for the best e-commerce platform.
- Very competitive pricing
- Good set-up wizard
- No transaction fees
- Unlimited storage with every plan
- Free domain name
- 100+ free themes (all mobile-ready); all templates are fully customizable
- Feature-rich platform, even with the mini level pricing
- Best inventory management system we’ve seen
- High 256bit security level
- Built-in POS system
- Pricing can be confusing; sales per year caps on most pricing tiers
- Product limits with their entry level plan
- Wide range of customization features could lead to a complex store setup
- Some complaints about sub-par support from customer service (although they offer 24/7 support)
- Among the most robust e-commerce website features on the market
- 99.9% guaranteed site uptime
- Offers Content Delivery Network (CDN) — your site is available on multiple Shift4Shop servers, which translates to faster loading times
- More than 200 payment gateways (more than any other platform we’ve seen)
- Rich content management system
- Built-in blog
- More than 100 integrations, including Google Analytics
- Mobile apps for Android and iPhone let you manage your store on the go
- Built-in point of sale system (POS)
- More than 20 years in the industry (originally marketed as 3DCart, the software was acquired by Shift4 (a payments provider) in November 2020).
- Shift4Shop Cares program provides charitable grants and product and service donations to those in need
Unlimited storage included in all Shift4Shop plans. Save 10% off the following monthly pricing if you pay annually, and they offer non-profit discounts. They offer a 15-day free trial period so you can try before you buy.
|Price Per Month||$19 ($9/month 1st 6 months)||$29 ($19/month 1st 6 months)||$79 ($49/month 1st 6 months)||$229 ($129/month 1st 6 months)|
|Number of Products||100||Unlimited||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Online Sales Limit Per Year||$50k||$100k||$200k||$400k|
How Do Shift4Shop Users Weigh In?
Here are some of the most relevant online customer reviews we’ve found in our research about Shift4Shop. We give you a sampling of both positive and negative Shift4Shop reviews from trusted online forum sources.
Positive Shift4Shop Reviews
I’ve compared many hosted e-commerce platforms, and Shift4Shop is the most comprehensive solution out-of-the-box. It’s very flexible as well as easy to use, so it’s suitable for both a beginner and a more advanced e-commerce business. And their customer service is always responsive. I recommend them highly. – Craig D., Trustpilot 7/14/2016
The templates are more or less fully customizable & the code blocks & variables are pretty straightforward. Adding & editing products is simple & it’s easy to utilize different product templates. The servers can handle spikes in traffic & have been mostly stable for the past year that the store has been live. Shift4Shop’s customer service team is usually very quick to respond & they aren’t afraid to ask their developers questions if they don’t know the answers. – Paul M., G2Crowd 5/19/2016
Shift4Shop is a nice cart with some great features. Over the years their customer service has become mediocre at best. For a company who is always tooting [Sic] mobile friendly and responsive carts, they still have a lot to do to make their admin panel truly mobile friendly. They are always making updates/upgrades and I know their team is working on things, but sometimes not as quickly as you’d like to see them be made. – Calley, Trustpilot 7/12/2016
Our website uses personalization options, and we have found it somewhat difficult to get the options menus to work as we wish that they would. – Jordan L., G2Crowd 6/4/2014
Want To See Shift4Shop In Action?
The following video shows you how Shift4Shop’s rich features can help you easily build a stunning e-commerce website.
How Does Shift4Shop Stack Up Against Competitors?
How did Shift4Shop fare in our best e-commerce platform showdown? Read the article to find out. In summary, Shift4Shop has a fantastic set of robust features, stylish templates, 24/7 tech support and a POS system add-on that syncs easily with your online store (learn more in our POS system reviews). Remember they do have a bandwidth limit on their entry-level plan. To get the inside scoop on what makes Shift4Shop tick, read our interview with Gonzalo Gil, their founder and CEO.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.