SpiderOak (now carries the new name SpiderOakONE; we will use them interchangeably) is an online full-featured backup that can sync, share, access, and store files. By using SpiderOak you can access your files from any device anywhere. It is compatible with Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. You can also access any of the files through a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.
When changing files, SpiderOak keeps the older versions of your files. No need to worry if having multiple versions of your file will take up more of your space. Only the most up-to-date version counts toward your GB space.
Visit Website – SpiderOak
- Zero-knowledge security policy
- SSL secured
- Supports Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux
- Free account for up to 2 GB of storage
- Unlimited number of computers connected to storage account
- Claims to be 10-15 times faster than traditional backups
- Deleted file and historical version storage
- De-Duplication feature
- Can slow down your machine
- Doesn’t provide a hard copy backup service
One of the great features of SpiderOakONE is that as a user you pay for the amount of storage you use. For example, if all you need is 2 GB or less, then you can use SpiderOak forever and never have to pay a cent. Users enjoy this feature because it’s not limited to a specific amount of time. As long as you aren’t exceeding 2 GB, you don’t have to pay.
Zero-Knowledge Policy Enhances Online Security
SpiderOak’s zero-knowledge policy allows only you to have access to your documents. No one else can access them, not even SpiderOak employees. Each time you use SpiderOak you have to login with your password. Only during that browsing session is your password stored in encrypted memory and is never saved to an unencrypted disk. Once you end your browsing session your password is destroyed and there is no trace of its existence.
This is the only instance where your password could possibly be read from the SpiderOak servers. Only a select few number of SpiderOak employees will ever have access to the server. SpiderOak suggests always using the desktop application to make this process even safer. The desktop application downloads your personal data before decrypting it.
Many users like the security of SpiderOak because they don’t have to worry about someone else accessing their files. Users feel comfortable and safe due to the zero-knowledge policy. Some users say they feel that they have obtained online privacy through SpiderOak thanks to its zero-knowledge policy.
Although this policy is very beneficial it does tend to drain your memory so you might see a decrease in your machine’s speed. This is possibly the biggest downfall. However, if you have important files that you want to make sure are being kept private, the file security is probably worth it.
Once you’ve downloaded Spider Oak, you’ll notice a Hive folder. Depending on the operating system you use, it could be located in different locations. The Hive folder allows you to add a file to it from one computer and pull it up on another computer to continue working on it. For example, if you are working on a document at work and save it to the Hive folder you can later pull it up on your home computer and continue to work on it. You can then access it on your phone through SpiderOak Mobile and share it with another person.
Five Services in One Solution
- Backup – Automatically backs up and edits, changes or additions. You choose what files and folders to backup (we recommend backing up everything on your system).
- Sync – Ability to determine what data you want to sync among multiple devices.
- Share – Create password protected ShareRooms to share any data you want securely.
- Access – Wherever you are and whatever device you have, you will be able to access your data.
- Store – SpiderOak allows you to store and access your data on an unlimited number of devices.
- 2 GB Free
- $10/month per 100 GB or $100/year per 100 GB
SpiderOak is a great choice for users who want to make sure their files are kept private, but probably more importantly, it gives you the ability to access all of your files, no matter where you are and what device you are using. It’s also a good online backup for users who only need a small amount of space since the first 2 GB are free. These are just a few reasons why we rated it our second favorite Best Online Backup provider.
What Do You Think?
Are you a SpiderOakONE user? Do you agree or disagree with our review?Tagged With: Reviews