To sustain this free service, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. This doesn’t affect rankings. Our review process.
Is your MacBook (or PC) low on space? Or perhaps it’s running a bit slower than usual. In my case I was frequently receiving “Storage Full” errors despite my best efforts to clear my hard drive and trash can.
As it turns out files were hiding in various places and eating up all my disk space (mail attachments from Mac Mail, cache from browsers, etc.). And even if I had known where to go to find the junk, it would have taken me hours to clean it up manually.
I thought, “there has to be a better way!” and there is. With a few clicks of a button, CleanMyMac from MacPaw can save you gigabytes of space on your computer and help keep your system running efficiently.
No matter how old your computer is, it’s always a good idea to be proactive and invest in a Mac cleaner that will save you headaches down the road. Keep reading to learn how to have a clean Mac in no time.
- Used by industry leaders and 5+ million users
- Average user finds around 50 GB of space to clean out
- Video tutorials (although program is so intuitive they’re not needed)
- Developed by MacPaw, reputable company with large team
- Program has won multiple awards including the Mac Observer
- Works with 12 languages
- Also available for PC
- Free trial and refund if not satisfied
- No phone or chat support
- Single licenses on the expensive side compared to other Mac applications
- Cross-promotes other products
CleanMyMac X Review
There are three previous versions of CleanMyMac’s Mac cleaner, but we’ll be reviewing the latest version, CleanMyMac X. We should also note that MacPaw gave us a free license to test out all the features; however, that didn’t skew our opinion or thoughts on the product.
CleanMyMac X, the latest and greatest version, is much faster than its previous version, CleanMyMac 3. The graphics are a lot sleeker and the interface feels more updated. In addition, the menu bar at the top is much more detailed with graphics (instead of just the color progress bar). Other than that, it’s still the same old app we love that will make your machine run lean and mean, keeping your computer from freezing up by freeing up space.
- Reported to be 3 times faster than the previous version, CleanMyMac 3
- Notifies you when a program isn’t responding and asks you if you want to force quit (see below)
- Quickly and easily see hard drive space, memory usage, battery life and processor CPU% in dashboard (or menu bar, see below)
- Scans iTunes, MacMail, photo library, web browsers and more
- Removes outdated backups, software updates and other data in iTunes
- Reduces size of photo library by replacing RAW with JPEG and cleaning out extraneous data
- Locates larger than usual files or files you haven’t used in awhile
- Empties trash bins from all programs including photo library trash
- Keeps a running total of space cleaned to date since the first scan
- See list of applications, sort by size and uninstall from within app
- Maintenance task runs a set of scripts to optimize performance and detect vulnerabilities
- Instantly remove browsing history on all browsers and sweep your chat history from various chat programs
- Remove or disable unused widgets, and application plugins that take up space
- Shredder feature safely erases folders and files permanently
Free Trial of CleanMyMac X (cleans up to 500 MB).
CleanMyMac X (for OS X 10.8+):
- $89.95 for one-time purchase (You only pay once but only minor software updates are included — any major updates you desire would require payment)
- $39.95/year for an annual subscription*
- $9.99/month (or $108 per year) Setapp subscription* (these users also gain access to 100+ other helpful Mac apps)
*Both subscription options (annual and Setapp) will receive all updates.
If you have multiple devices in your home, you have the option to add more licenses for a fraction of the cost of 1 license. So, a small business or family of Mac users would save a lot buy getting the 5 licenses bundle.
30% discount if you have an .edu email address.
What Do CleanMyMac Users Have to Say?
Don’t just take our word for it. Here are a few customer reviews so you can have a better idea of others’ experiences as well. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, we were unable to find any negative reviews about CleanMyMac, so we couldn’t share any negative experiences with the software.
Positive CleanMyMac Reviews
I like the new features for cleaning iTunes, maintenance and privacy settings. All work perfectly. The new flat user interface looks great. – Colin Morris, Melbourne, Australia (MacPaw’s website)
I’ve had my Mac for 3 years. I wondered if it needed some kind of “cleaning”. This product came bundled with Parallels so I paid nothing for it. I hesitated to install it, but I did. I let it do its thing with default settings. It cleaned up around 8 GB over 2.5 TB worth of stuff. It found old/large files that I did not want cleaned up. Really, it only cleaned up installation remnants and language files that I’ll never use. For that, it worked great. Otherwise, it really didn’t do as much as some Windows equivalents that are out there. I’m sure I could have changed settings to make it more aggressive, but it doesn’t seem necessary. -Booch_211, February 2014 (Cnet.com)
Negative CleanMyMac Reviews
I just had a fight with CleanMyMac 2 – the “helper” part of the application. The application decided to run on my MAC with no warning and take over 3 gigs of memory causing the MAC to slow to a crawl – forcing me to slowly shut down all my apps and reboot. I just had enough time to screen dump the “helper” destroying my MAC before I was forced to reboot….My hope was the next version would be created by slightly smarter developers but unfortunately that was not the case. I hope I deleted CleanMyMac from my MAC for the last time. It reminds me of Norton software in the old days when it did more damage to your computer than the viruses. -Marc, March 2013 (BusinessBlogHubs.com)
CleanMyMac Video Overview
If you’re still not convinced, here’s a minute and a half video that shows you just how easy it is to use Clean My Mac.
A Clean Mac, Is A Happy Mac
If you’re looking for a proactive tool to speed up your computer and to save yourself from multiple trips to the Apple Genius Bar, then CleanMyMac is well worth the investment. Once your Mac is speedy and clean and your information is all organized, make sure it’s backed up so you don’t have to start all over again!
And now that the “brains” of your Mac are clean, find out how to clean the guts (ie. the cleaning the insides of your PC so you can maximize its lifespan (doesn’t apply if you have a laptop/Macbook). And, check out our online backup reviews to find easy ways to backup your data in the cloud, so you don’t have to worry about losing it in the first place. Lastly, in the rare event that you cleaned something up (ie. deleted) that you didn’t want to, find out how to get it back.
What software do you use to clean up your computer?